Yo, get on the train!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gameroom Cash
    $59630
    Rep Point

2 grad students from China shot dead in LA

Updated: 2012-04-12 11:15
    By Wang Jun in Los Angeles (China Daily)

Two Chinese graduate students, both in their 20s, were shot dead at the University of Southern California in a possible carjacking gone bad at around 1 am on Wednesday.

The slayings have shook USC, which has an enormous international student population, the largest number of any university in the US. Roughly 19 percent of the school's 38,000 students are from overseas, with approximately 1,900 of them from China, according to the university.

The victims, Ying Wu and Ming Qu, were both studying at the electronic engineering department, according to a letter the university issued to the community. The shootings happened in a neighborhood northwest of the campus.

"Our community is saddened and outraged by this callous and meaningless act. Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims' families and friends and all who knew them at USC. The university is reaching out to those affected, offering counseling and support," according to the university's statement.

According to the Los Angeles Times, immediately after the shootings, the male victim was able to stumble onto a nearby porch before collapsing, while the woman was found slumped over the inside the vehicle, a late-model BMW".

Deng Kaifu, who claimed he is a student at the same university and was a friend of the victims, said on Renren.com, China's equivalent to Facebook, that the two students shared apartments in the west of the university with other schoolmates for saving rental. They did not buy a car in the first two years of studying until Ming Qu brought a second-hand BMW with $10,000 this term for the purpose of looking for a job.

Six people have been killed this year in the area, police said, but violent crime in the area is down 20 percent this year. Last year, 21 were killed.

The gunman fled on foot, and no description has been yet released by authorities.

The Chinese consulate in Los Angeles said it has contacted the university and also sent people to the campus to help with the investigation.

Yue Liwen, consul of press affairs, said that Qiu Shaofang, the consulate general, is highly aware of the incident. Qiu immediately contacted LAPD upon hearing of the shootings and found one of the victim's family members in China. It is currently working to contact the family of the other victim.

Yue said the consulate has sent alerts to Chinese people who live in the neighborhood. Yue said they will assist the victims' families in traveling to the US and assisting the police in its investigation.

Leon Li, vice-president of the Chinese Student and Scholars Association (CSSA) at USC and a graduate student in economics said that the association will be working with friends of the victims in order to comfort them. The association is also trying to contact the victims' family members in China.

"We want to work with them for the memorial service," Li said.

CSSA plans to organize a safety seminar to educate students to pay more attention to safety issues after this incident.

"It is because USC and students like us, the neighborhood is lively and has plenty job opportunity. USC thrives on the huge number of international students it has. Our community should not become a target of robbery and intimidation," posted Wu Bo on Renren.com, a social networking site in China.

A candlelight vigil was held Wednesday evening on the USC campus for the victims.

Kimia Mostaghimi in Los Angeles contributed to this story.

wangjun@chinadailyusa.com

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/2012-04...t_15031837.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    register or log in to view signatures!

Ronin

Gameroom Cash
    $3771
    Rep Point

you should read the comment section in the chinese news about this story. those netizens had no sympathy towards the victims. they said the victims were shot dead in a BMW, so they must be son and daughter of corrupt officials or crooked business people. there is something seriously wrong with the chinese public right now. people have bad morals and turned very anti-govnernment, anti-rich people, especially hatred towards government officials. every time an official dead either due to accident or murder, people would cheer in the comment section about the death.

this does not bode well for china's future. people are losing faith in the government. due to money printing and Wen's 4 trillion stimulus, inflation has skyrocketed. vegetable price have increased 10 times comparing to 2006 and people are having a hard time living and are very disgruntled. unrests are getting more and more frequent.

lol. i am not the only one who noticed the comments.

i just did a search apparently the cheering of death made news.

http://life.caixun.com/content/20120412/CX01vn59.html
    http://economy.caixun.com/content/20.../CX01vn6c.html

Responsible Adult

Gameroom Cash
    $2709
    Rep Point

Quote Quote
    ....a late-model BMW.

.....Ming Qu brought a second-hand BMW with $10,000.....
    Only USD 10000!!!

That's cheap for the latest model of BMW!

Ronin

Gameroom Cash
    $3771
    Rep Point

it's a second-hand car i think. feel sorry for the victims. they are murdered but people are cheering. more so, i feel sad about the current state of china.

Gameroom Cash
    $59630
    Rep Point

how despicable. its very telling reading these comments on the wealthy/upper class/1%. lynching. revolution. ak47s. really pathetic. so life gets hard and you make comments to celebrate the death of others. even worse make comments on killing bankers yourself. really shows what kind of quality these people are.

Sage

Gameroom Cash
    $138161
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Who the hell killed them?

Master

Gameroom Cash
    $29854
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point
    Male

FBI did it.

USC is in the bad part of LA. Probably a car jacking gone wrong. A BMW would likely attract thieves.

Gameroom Cash
    $59630
    Rep Point

i find this title

Shaken by shooting, Chinese still seek US colleges
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...0383b2edf5a80d

irritating as ****. first, how can they possibly know the impact on the trend so quickly. let the monthly or annual data speak for itself. second, what i see is "LULZ, Chinese college's are so bad even when Chinese get shot they still prefer the American ones". i am probably over reaching in this case.

...or am i....

lol ya i probably am.

Elder

Gameroom Cash
    $8503
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point
    Male

^Or is that a way of running away from the reality:We don't have an out-of control gun problem,we don't have a high crime rate,America is safe,even though we lock up more people than China does,Chinese still wanna come,so we are good,lets party.

My god....I'm starting to believe the stereotypes of Americans being stupid is true.

Just read the comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/shaken-shootin...060339249.html

What stupid people think:

• People actually believe the US gives financial aid to foreign students.
    • People actually believe the Chinese pay less than American students.
    • People actually believe that American students lose places to universities from Chinese students.
    • People actually believe there are no American students in Chinese universities.

Elder

Gameroom Cash
    $12265
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Ethnicity:   Westernized Mongoloid

Los Angeles is going third world. When people ask me why I don't support diversity, I merely have to say "Los Angeles."

Master

Gameroom Cash
    $29854
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point
    Male

Quote Originally Posted by CRYPT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My god....I'm starting to believe the stereotypes of Americans being stupid is true.

Just read the comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/shaken-shootin...060339249.html

What stupid people think:

• People actually believe the US gives financial aid to foreign students.
    • People actually believe the Chinese pay less than American students.
    • People actually believe that American students lose places to universities from Chinese students.
    • People actually believe there are no American students in Chinese universities.
    They don 't really believe in it. They just selectively ignore it. They want to believe in certain talking points, and choose to ignore painful truths( since they can obviously do some online research. They chose not to) . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAljJfR3HZ0.

Last edited by Red Sage; 04-12-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Good-Bye

Gameroom Cash
    $35228
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

This is why I drive an 80s Chrysler Imperial. They would never think it's an Asian inside it stashing with cash.

Teenager

Gameroom Cash
    $3118
    Rep Point

Rip

Quote Originally Posted by bloodlust View Post
    They don 't really believe in it. They just selectively ignore it. They want to believe in certain talking points, and choose to ignore painful truths( since they can obviously do some online research. They chose not to) . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAljJfR3HZ0.
    I don't mind if they hate China, but I'm just annoyed when they base their hate on misinformation. And like you said, they can do their own research, but they choose not to do so.

Master

Gameroom Cash
    $29854
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point
    Male

Quote Originally Posted by CRYPT View Post
    I don't mind if they hate China, but I'm just annoyed when they base their hate on misinformation. And like you said, they can do their own research, but they choose not to do so.
    The misinformation is the result of their hate, and not the cause. Demonizing your enemy is typical, and common. Finding redemptive information about your enemy is not common, or typical. My guess is if they are not ****ing stupid( Not many really is), they don 't really believe in what they say. They are engaged in self-deception( Trivers 's theory). They want to let lose some steam because their are ****ing losers, and China bashing makes them feel good.

Good-Bye

Gameroom Cash
    $35228
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

^ If I were a Chinese nationalist and all I see are offensive materials then I would not fear my enemy at all. America does not have a homogenous population. Just look at the educational system. Everything below university is a joke yet at the university level you see a long history of innovation and discoveries. So you guys are reading opinions of mostly idiots. The people at the top sure are much more educated about China, Chinese culture, and CCP's military capabilities.
    Last edited by good; 04-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Gameroom Cash
    $59630
    Rep Point

Parents of slain Chinese students visit crime scene
    (Xinhua)
    13:59, April 17, 2012

LOS ANGELES, April 16 (Xinhua) -- Parents of the two Chinese students slain last week near the University of Southern California (USC) campus have visited the crime scene and will talk to detectives, police said Monday.

The relatives of 23-year-old graduate students Ming Qu and Ying Wu, who studied electrical engineering at USC, visited the 2700 block of Raymond Avenue in the West Adams area on Sunday, according to Los Angeles Police Commander Andrew Smith.

The parents of both victims talked with the school, police and Chinese officials about the memorial services and possible fundraising efforts.

A meeting with school officials, including those in charge of security and transportation, is scheduled to take place on campus Monday evening.

The Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) encouraged Chinese students to participate in the event to vent their fears over the security and crimes on and off campus.

"I can say that people from across the university have pulled together to address the needs and concerns of the families," Clayton Dube, executive director of USC US-China Institute, told Xinhua. "University leaders, faculty, staff and students have all been involved."

"We've had close cooperation with a wide variety of offices ranging from the Chinese consulate, municipal agencies, Chinese government offices and the U.S. embassy in Beijing," Dube said.

"I've been impressed at how hard, fast and effectively people have worked to do what needs to be done. Everyone recognizes that this is a terrible tragedy, and the uniform response from everyone I've encountered is 'What can I do to help?'" he added.

Patrick Gannon, deputy chief of Los Angeles Police Department, said the victims were shot two to three times when they were sitting in a 2003 BMW around 1 a.m. last Wednesday.

Qu managed to get out of the car and tried to stagger to a nearby house before collapsing on the front porch. The shooter fled southbound after the shooting, and a black sedan was also seen leaving the area.

Minutes later, paramedics sent the victims to a nearby hospital, where they were pronounced dead, Gannon said.

USC has offered a 125,000 U.S. dollar reward for information leading to the arrest of the culprit.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/203691/7789738.html

im glad so many Chinese departments getting involved. i was hoping that the Chinese government would make noise and get involved heavily. Chinese citizen overseas shouldnt feel like their government has abandoned them.

Sage

Gameroom Cash
    $138161
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

they should kill 100,000 people yearly

that ought to reduce the crime rate