Yo, get on the train!

Gameroom Cash
    $12509
    Rep Point
    Female

Ethnicity:   Filipino-American, a descendant of Taiwanese aborgines and Southern Chinese settlers
    Philippines United-States

What if Spain never colonized the Philippines?

We would never encounter Visayans and Mindanaons. There will be many tribes over the islands. It would be never renamed as "the Philippines". We would end up being Muslim like Malaysia and Indonesia. We wouldn't have a identity crisis or colonial mentality. I wouldn't be existed because my parents are Bicolano and Boholano and even my Spanish ancestor from my dad's side.

Use your imagination and make any hypothesis.
    register or log in to view signatures!

Responsible Adult

Gameroom Cash
    $7441
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   Ilocano-Tagalog
    Philippines

There wouldn't be so many Tagalog words of Spanish origin in our language.

I've always wondered how all those Spanish words made their way into our language, I'm very curious about the process of exactly how it occurred.

Also I would never have gotten Iberian on my 23andme result lol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

''OWNER'' A.K.A 1R0N_M4N_XL

Gameroom Cash
    $66997
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   PNOY-yorker!
    United-States Philippines

one tribe will dominate and unite everyone under one language, one race, one people, one culture...... just like what happen to japan..

probably philippines will become muslim or under confucious/budda sphere like vietnamese..

Prisoners

Gameroom Cash
    $14839
    Rep Point
    Male

Quote Originally Posted by 1R0N M4N XL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one tribe will dominate and unite everyone under one language, one race, one people, one culture...... just like what happen to japan..

probably philippines will become muslim or under confucious/budda sphere like vietnamese..
    Lol just like that Muslim kingdom in the middle of tagalog land

Legend

Gameroom Cash
    $40338
    Rep Point
    Male

??? One group would dominate? Even the most advanced Malayan states (Sri Vijyaya, Majapahit) no one dominated at that level UNTIL the Europeans.

All these countries (Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia) exist because of European intervention. Malaysia in fact is a federation of sultanates and territories.

Even powerful sultantes in Philippines weren't that powerful to consolidate territory. Sulu/Tausug is the biggest example---outside of Jolo/Tawi-Tawi he literally just extrapolated power via loose connection of pirates and pirates states (used Badjao, Yakan and Iranuns).

There always had been natural balance of power. Balance of power changes when outsiders and outside forces come in and offset things. For example when traditionally a group of people wouldn't venture out that far from their territory, with incitement or coercion they would. When they would traditionally resort to diplomacy, they would resort to war when a faction backs them with enough fire/man power.

Best example are headhunting tribes. Headhunters have traditional boundaries no one crossed. You cross a certain area you essentially declare a. war b. death wish. But their technology and means to fight is so basic (spears, basic metallurgy, size of forces---imagine if war raged on long enough, so many dead they wouldn't be able to continue war or continue to planting season ie they'll starve, modes of warfare).

Even if one side is winning, they'd lose so many that eventually they get tired of war and peace essentially ensues for a little while.

When you add external forces that changes. What I keep saying: why Moros are pirates in the eyes of Filipinos...when ALL tribes practiced slavery (even allowed by Spanish in the first 100 years) and raiding ? It is the entrance of Europeans. Portuguese incited Moluccans to raid ranges they traditionally didn't (ie Philippines), Sulu became more powerful becoming hub of piracy, the Spanish disarmed Filipinos and all military campaigns (they made warriors and warrior castes into workers, farmers, carpenters) into one single minded monopoly of trade. People don't know this but Spain made Philippines into a tool a very single use tool: hub for Chinese/Asian trade. Everything was monopolized (owned by Spanish state or Catholic church), many industries were controlled and forced natives to buy from them to maximize profit (ie "arrack" ie 'alak' trade----Spanish controlled ALL ), they limited the amount of traders that came in (Spanish priests asked the king to allow only Mexican monopoly vs. ships coming from other New World Spanish viceroyalty ie Peru) and limited the trade item to silver (the only thing Chinese were willing to trade with). They limited the number of ships to one, once a year. They disallowed any other country to set up companies (until the Philippines was reopened after New World independence in 1840's). They took normal people, chiefs, engineers, metallurgists, carpenters, boat builders slaves, warriors and forced them to labor into one thing: creating boats to support Spanish naval presence and dominance. That's why it's no surprised: the Philippines Revolution started where? Mutiny in Cavite---where they send people from all over the Philippines to conduct their 'labor tax' ie to work in building ships (even if by then it was generally slow and not as big as it was during the galleon trade) for centuries. The Filipino term in fact "to tear the cedula/"card" to mean a sign of wrath against power literally came from people tearing their 'cedula' a form of ID card that govt. used to keep track of people who paid taxes---taxes for many was a labor tax ie 'polo tax' which forced them to travel from far provinces to work in Cavite shipyard. PS There's a famous Waray rebellion, wherein Waray peasants revolted because they were expecting 'labor tax' in their community, yet they were taken hundreds of miles away to Cavite to do it. This was in 1650's---the Philippine revolution was in 1870's, goes to show you that in 2-300 the Spanish didn't give a sh!t why Filipino peasantry revolted---they had the same UNRESOLVED gripe for 300 years.

That's how Europeans and any old world powers (Chinese, Mongolians, Indians, Middle Eastern) made gigantic empires. They pit and divided groups, they specialized and directed trade, etc.

That's still how it works TODAY.

Gamed Up

Gameroom Cash
    $83783
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Ethnicity:   Filipino-American

I'm guessing a more sinified north and a muslim south. Who really knows though?

Master

Gameroom Cash
    $15495
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   Monkey King
    Japan Uzbekistan Abkhazia

Maybe become like Singapore or Indonesia.

Prisoners

Gameroom Cash
    $14839
    Rep Point
    Male

Quote Originally Posted by ricecum View Post
    Maybe become like Singapore or Indonesia.
    Lol central and southern Philippines would end up like malaysia

Gameroom Cash
    $66997
    Rep Point
    Male

my guess is philippines would be a more advance country.. developing our cultures for 400 years... we would be become like thailand in rich cultures..

also, we would probably mirrow what the japanese was doing in catching up in the west ..

1) one tribe will UnITE everyone AS ONE..
    2) Philippines will probably past a stage ''kings & queens monarch'' age..
    3)then Philippines will probably have a civil war dethroning kings and queens. just like the french
    4) PHilippines will look to sea trading/sea exploration just like the british..

also if spain didn't colonize philippines... it's either will be colonize by the british,france,dutch or even german..
    i mean Philippines is RIGHT in the middle of asia pacific.. other countries will use the land as a gateway to east asia..

Gameroom Cash
    $12509
    Rep Point
    Female

Ethnicity:   Filipino-American, a descendant of Taiwanese aborgines and Southern Chinese settlers

Quote Originally Posted by easy772 View Post
    I think the same thing. Luzon might be Chinese/Indian influenced while Visayas and Mindanao might be unified as a sultanate.

Gameroom Cash
    $12509
    Rep Point
    Female

Quote Originally Posted by easy772 View Post
    I think the same thing. Luzon might be Chinese/Indian influenced while Visayas and Mindanao might be unified as a sultanate.

Elder

Gameroom Cash
    $7211
    Alien Attack Champion! Apples Champion! Arkanoid Champion! Asteroids Champion! Balloon Bomber Champion! Bat Punch Champion! Big Bird Hunting Champion! Bomb Blast Champion! Breakout Champion! Bubble Trouble Champion! Burger Time Champion! Capture The Flag Champion! Cell-Out Champion! Classic Donkey Kong Champion! Crazy Cars Champion! Curveball Champion! Disc Dash Champion! Eggs Champion! El Emigrante Champion! Enemy Shooting Champion! Eskiv Champion! Fall Down Champion! Fishing Impossible Champion! Fishwater Challenge Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Fly Shoot Champion! Fun Santa Champion! Fun Surfing Champion! Gary Golf Champion! Ghost 2000 Champion! Girl Power Champion! Goo Slasher Champion! Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion! Hit the Mole Champion! Home Run Champion! Home Run Rally Champion! Icecream Blowout Champion! Jail Break Champion! Jukebox Hero Champion! Killer Bob Champion! Lane Bowling Champion! Lift Champion! Mac Man Champion! Magic Ball Champion! Mini KickUps Champion! Monkey Diving Champion! Monkey Jump Champion! Mosquito Kill Champion! Ms Pacman Champion! My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion! Othello Champion! Pacman Champion! Pedestrian Killer Champion! Pere Noel Killer Champion! Plasmanaut on Fire Champion! Rocket Racer MX Champion! Roller Blaze Champion! Rope Walker Champion! Rotation Champion! Run Sam Run Champion! Sack Smash Champion! Simpsons Shooter Champion! Skate Boarder Champion! Skate Park Champion! Space Hunter Champion! Space Rescue Champion! spankthemonkey Champion! Sperm Wars Champion! Spy Hunter Champion! Starcastle Champion! Starship Legend Champion! Submarine Champion! Super Fishing Champion! Takion Champion! Target Champion! Twelve Swap Champion! Watch Out Champion! Xmas-Boarding Champion! Zelda Champion! Zoo Keeper Champion! Mini Pool 2 Champion! Quick Shot Champion! Slack Man Champion! Mouse Kill Champion! Treasure Diver Champion! The Streaker Champion! Squid Hunter Champion! Mario Catcher Champion! QB Challenge Champion! Homeland Defense Champion! Snake Shooter Champion! Ice Racer Champion! Paintball Champion! Roach Kill Champion! Mission To Mars Champion! Pin Headz Champion! Pogo Panic Champion! Missle Strike Champion! TIE Fighter Shooter Champion! UFO Shoot Out Champion! War In Iraq Champion! Sonny Sunshine Champion! Minigolf Champion! Skeleton Park Champion! Super Hacky Sack Champion! Ice Hockey Champion! jetpacker Champion! Karts Champion! Jawashoot Champion! Kaboom Champion! Population Tire Champion! Tritryst Champion! Money Money Money Champion! SAM Site Champion! Magatack Champion! Soap Bubble Champion! Donkey Rocket Champion! Ratman Ralph Champion! Lost Your Marbles? Champion! Ping Champion! Speedy Thief Champion! Shoot The Gatso Champion! Red Beard Champion! Penguin Pass Champion! Ollie Skates Champion! Tontie Champion! Iceberg Champion!
    Rep Point
    Male

We would be missing out on certain cultural aspects such as pan de sal, empanadas, ensaymada, barquillos, polvoron, leche flan, cassava cakes, and mamon. Food may not seem so important compared to historical politics, but Filipinos would notice how different their breakfasts and miriendas would be, or how different their parties would be without these foods.

Gameroom Cash
    $24816
    Rep Point
    Male

Vatican-City Philippines

If the Spanish did not come, then we will still be divided into warring tribes and kingdoms.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Gameroom Cash
    $73221
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Prau123 View Post
    We would be missing out on certain cultural aspects such as pan de sal, empanadas, ensaymada, barquillos, polvoron, leche flan, cassava cakes, and mamon. Food may not seem so important compared to historical politics, but Filipinos would notice how different their breakfasts and miriendas would be, or how different their parties would be without these foods.
    I think food is a huge part of culture. Food reveals the history and traditions of a culture. It's a part of how people live, and it's a culture's source of sustenance.

I'd really like to try out more Filipino dishes.

There used to be a Filipino restaurant in my city that was pretty good but I only had a chance to go there once before it closed.

Elder

Gameroom Cash
    $7211
    Alien Attack Champion! Apples Champion! Arkanoid Champion! Asteroids Champion! Balloon Bomber Champion! Bat Punch Champion! Big Bird Hunting Champion! Bomb Blast Champion! Breakout Champion! Bubble Trouble Champion! Burger Time Champion! Capture The Flag Champion! Cell-Out Champion! Classic Donkey Kong Champion! Crazy Cars Champion! Curveball Champion! Disc Dash Champion! Eggs Champion! El Emigrante Champion! Enemy Shooting Champion! Eskiv Champion! Fall Down Champion! Fishing Impossible Champion! Fishwater Challenge Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Fly Shoot Champion! Fun Santa Champion! Fun Surfing Champion! Gary Golf Champion! Ghost 2000 Champion! Girl Power Champion! Goo Slasher Champion! Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion! Hit the Mole Champion! Home Run Champion! Home Run Rally Champion! Icecream Blowout Champion! Jail Break Champion! Jukebox Hero Champion! Killer Bob Champion! Lane Bowling Champion! Lift Champion! Mac Man Champion! Magic Ball Champion! Mini KickUps Champion! Monkey Diving Champion! Monkey Jump Champion! Mosquito Kill Champion! Ms Pacman Champion! My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion! Othello Champion! Pacman Champion! Pedestrian Killer Champion! Pere Noel Killer Champion! Plasmanaut on Fire Champion! Rocket Racer MX Champion! Roller Blaze Champion! Rope Walker Champion! Rotation Champion! Run Sam Run Champion! Sack Smash Champion! Simpsons Shooter Champion! Skate Boarder Champion! Skate Park Champion! Space Hunter Champion! Space Rescue Champion! spankthemonkey Champion! Sperm Wars Champion! Spy Hunter Champion! Starcastle Champion! Starship Legend Champion! Submarine Champion! Super Fishing Champion! Takion Champion! Target Champion! Twelve Swap Champion! Watch Out Champion! Xmas-Boarding Champion! Zelda Champion! Zoo Keeper Champion! Mini Pool 2 Champion! Quick Shot Champion! Slack Man Champion! Mouse Kill Champion! Treasure Diver Champion! The Streaker Champion! Squid Hunter Champion! Mario Catcher Champion! QB Challenge Champion! Homeland Defense Champion! Snake Shooter Champion! Ice Racer Champion! Paintball Champion! Roach Kill Champion! Mission To Mars Champion! Pin Headz Champion! Pogo Panic Champion! Missle Strike Champion! TIE Fighter Shooter Champion! UFO Shoot Out Champion! War In Iraq Champion! Sonny Sunshine Champion! Minigolf Champion! Skeleton Park Champion! Super Hacky Sack Champion! Ice Hockey Champion! jetpacker Champion! Karts Champion! Jawashoot Champion! Kaboom Champion! Population Tire Champion! Tritryst Champion! Money Money Money Champion! SAM Site Champion! Magatack Champion! Soap Bubble Champion! Donkey Rocket Champion! Ratman Ralph Champion! Lost Your Marbles? Champion! Ping Champion! Speedy Thief Champion! Shoot The Gatso Champion! Red Beard Champion! Penguin Pass Champion! Ollie Skates Champion! Tontie Champion! Iceberg Champion!
    Rep Point
    Male

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    I think food is a huge part of culture. Food reveals the history and traditions of a culture. It's a part of how people live, and it's a culture's source of sustenance.

I'd really like to try out more Filipino dishes.

There used to be a Filipino restaurant in my city that was pretty good but I only had a chance to go there once before it closed.
    How food is prepared, the approach they take to cooking it, the specific ingredients they use tells us a lot about a people and their history. The great thing about culinary traditions is that it's a developed style of cooking and its unique so one can appreciate it. Spanish dishes are different from indigenous Filipino dishes, so if one has an open mind, then one can try to appreciate a whole different palette of flavors.

Unfortunately a few Filipino restaurants closed since the U.S. recession of 2008 if you're living in the U.S. Hopefully some will pop up soon where you live nearby.

Child

Gameroom Cash
    $1240
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   Filipino
    Philippines Indonesia Guam

The Northern Half of Luzon and Bicol would become allies of Mataram or Aceh, converting to Islam in the process since they are fellow former parts of majapahit, some of the Igorots are likely to remain syncretic hindu and animist like in the present....however Batangas is another story since the chinese trade in the area..a dialect similar to Kapampangan and Ilocano would predominate the north and a Visayan flavored dialect of Tagalog will predominate the south..

Since the Tagalogs are starting to migrate to parts of Bulacan in that period a possible wars between the North and South might erupt in periods...the Northern Kingdom is more likely to be Anti-China and side with Malay/Indonesian, Vietnamese and Japanese interest while the south would be allies of China.

I don't know until when the Visayans will resist against islamization in the hands of Tausugs, if Sulu Sultanate annexes Madya-as annexes Madya-as Hiligaynon gradually becomes the language of the Sulu Sultanate, I think Hiligaynon was in better standing than cebuano in the prehispanic era..

The Maguindanao Sultanate and Cebu might get influenced by Melaka since their royalty is related to the Sri Vijayans.

+ 2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by kazumasa; 03-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Gameroom Cash
    $66997
    Rep Point
    Male

Quote Originally Posted by kazumasa View Post
    The Northern Half of Luzon and Bicol would become allies of Mataram or Aceh, converting to Islam in the process since they are fellow former parts of majapahit, some of the Igorots are likely to remain syncretic hindu and animist like in the present....however Batangas is another story since the chinese trade in the area..a dialect similar to Kapampangan and Ilocano would predominate the north and a Visayan flavored dialect of Tagalog will predominate the south..

Since the Tagalogs are starting to migrate to parts of Bulacan in that period a possible wars between the North and South might erupt in periods...the Northern Kingdom is more likely to be Anti-China and side with Malay/Indonesian, Vietnamese and Japanese interest while the south would be allies of China.

I don't know until when the Visayans will resist against islamization in the hands of Tausugs, if Sulu Sultanate annexes Madya-as annexes Madya-as Hiligaynon gradually becomes the language of the Sulu Sultanate, I think Hiligaynon was in better standing than cebuano in the prehispanic era..

The Maguindanao Sultanate and Cebu might get influenced by Melaka since their royalty is related to the Sri Vijayans.
    welcome back

+ 1 Not allowed! Not allowed!