Yo, get on the train!

Administrator

Gameroom Cash
    $72866
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Amazing Japanese Woodworking

I do woodworking but I learned in America so I do it like everyone in the west. I own a garage full of wood working tools including a work bench, drill press, table saw and band saw. With all these tools, I still find it very hard to do precision work. Yet these Japanese woodworkers make amazing jewelry like pieces without a work bench or power tools. They sit on the floor using hand tools and rarely measure or use a T-squire, triangle or level. These guys use 100% skill and know how.

wood box

Making a Tea Wisk

Lacquer ware - Japanese laquer ware is very thin. The lacquer gives it strength much like the fiberglass on a surfboard.
    register or log in to view signatures!

Sage

Gameroom Cash
    $78734
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Ethnicity:   Horsecore and bunnycore

Yes but what they make are comparatively smaller items. They are making crafts which can be placed on a table or hung up on the ceiling. They don't make tables or ceilings themselves. Those things will obviously require T-bar, triangle, tape, etc.

Administrator

Gameroom Cash
    $72866
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Quote Originally Posted by RiseOfKoba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes but what they make are comparatively smaller items. They are making crafts which can be placed on a table or hung up on the ceiling. They don't make tables or ceilings themselves. Those things will obviously require T-bar, triangle, tape, etc.
    True but try to make a small intricate thing without a straight edge of any kind.

Even on large wood work like furniture or houses they still don't use table saws or edgers. The only power tool in common use is circular saw, drill and chop saw.